Pinfold Medical Practice

Pinfold Gate, Loughborough, LE11 1DQ

Telephone: 01509 220960

We're open


Helpful Information About a Death

A Step-by-step guide on what to do when someone dies

Useful contacts:

Registry office: 

Southfield Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 2TR

T: 0116 305 6509


Leicester County Council: 


Wills, Probate & Inheritance


Citizens Advice:

70 Wood Gate, Loughborough, LE11 2XB

T: 0344 411 1444



Our thoughts and sympathies are with you at this difficult time. This page is designed to give you practical advice on certain things which need to be done.

Obtain a ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’

You need to contact the family doctor when someone dies at home. If the death was expected, the doctor will email a ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’ to the registrar who will then contact you.

If someone dies in hospital, then the hospital will issue a ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’ and formal notice.

If someone dies in a care home or nursing home, the ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’ will be emailed to the registrar by the GP. The registrar will then contact you.

Sometimes the doctor cannot issue a certificate and may need to refer to a coroner. (See 3. Arranging a funeral)

1. Registering a death

You will need to register the death with the registrar of births, marriages and deaths for the district where the death occurred within 5 days. Book an appointment with any Leicestershire County Council registration office on 0116 305 6509. For more information visit:

The registrar will need:

  • ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’
  • The person’s full name, date and place of death
  • Their date and place of birth
  • Their most recent occupation and whether or not the deceased person was receiving a pension or other benefits
  • The name, occupation and date of birth of their spouse or civil partner

The registrar will give you a certified copy of the death certificate and will also give the family a green copy to give to the funeral director. If the deceased is to be buried this is the only paperwork needed.

It is advisable to request multiple copies which can be given to the bank/ building societies and other agencies that will need to be informed. (This may incur a small administration fee)

For more information, visit the Leicestershire County Council website.

2. Cremation

If a cremation is to take place, there are additional forms to be completed by doctors and then given to the funeral directors. These forms are in in two parts:

Part 1 – The doctor who completes the ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’ fills in the first part.

Part 2 – Another doctor who has not  been involved in the care of the deceased fills in the second part. This doctor has to speak to the first doctor and may also need to speak to a member of the family.

3. Arranging a funeral

Before arranging the funeral:

Check that you will be able to collect the ‘Medical Certificate and Cause of Death’ before arranging the funeral date. This is because sometimes it is necessary for the Coroner, or on rare occasions the police, to become involved and may delay the release of the ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’.

A post-mortem examination may then be required if the deceased died unexpectedly or in unusual circumstances, or if they had not recently consulted a doctor.

Check whether the deceased person has paid in to a life insurance policy or pension scheme that provides a lump sum towards the funeral costs, or into a funeral plan that has already prepaid the costs.

Most people use a funeral director, though you can arrange the funeral yourself.  To arrange the funeral yourself, you need to contact the Cemeteries and Cremation Department of your local council – Leicestershire County Council.

Before finalising the funeral arrangements, you should find out if the deceased made a Will and consult the solicitors who hold it to see what the deceased’s wishes are. The Will should also disclose the name(s) of the executors or persons legally entitled to deal with the deceased’s estate. The solicitors will assist you with the administration of the estate and any questions relating to tax issues that may arise. (Please be aware solicitors’ advice incurs a cost)

4. Use the ‘Tell us Once’ service

The ‘Tell us Once’ is used to contact several government departments in one go. You can access the service online or via the phone. The departments that will be contacted in one go include:

  • HM Revenue and Customs for tax purposes
  • Department for Work and Pensions

These services should contact you about tax, benefits and entitlements of the person who died.

  • HM Passport Office
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Local services such as electoral services, libraries, housing benefit and council tax services

For this service and more information go to:

Other people who may need to be informed:

  • The deceased’s doctor
  • Employer/teacher
  • Benefits office (if applicable)
  • Hospital(s), if the deceased had hospital appointments
  • Bank/ Building society
  • Local services if applicable: meals on wheels. home help, day centre transport, milk & newspaper deliveries
  • Solicitor or Citizens Advice if there are any legal issues or questions about the estate
  • Equipment may need returning to Red Cross, NHS etc
  • Car insurance company
  • Gas, electric and telecom companies
  • Royal Mail deliveries
  • Embassy of deceased if non-resident of UK

5. Financial help

If you receive certain Social Service Benefits (e.g. Income support, housing benefit and others) you can apply to the Social Fund for help to pay for funeral costs.

You will need to complete an application form SF200. This is available from your local Job Centre Plus or by download from their website


Bereavement Support

There are many organisations that offer support to people who have suffered bereavement. This could be counselling, information and advice or practical support. If you or someone you know might benefit from support, one of the following organisations may be able to help

  • Cruse Bereavement Care

T: 0808 808 1677


  • Samaritans

T: 0116 2700 007 (local call charges apply)

National telephone: 116 123 (this number is free to call)


  • Compassionate Friends (for help if you’ve lost a child or grandchild)

T: 0345 123 2304



Useful things to consider before death

Organ Donors registration

To register call 0300 123 23 23 or register online at

Power of attorney 

It’s not easy to think about a time when you won’t be able to make your own decisions, but it can help to be prepared. For further information go to

Things to discuss with close family or a loved one

Consider sharing the following information should they need it:

  • Name & address of Bank(s)
  • Name & address and telephone number of Solicitor holding the Will
  • Location of birth certificates, marriage certificates etc

Opening Times

  • Monday
    08:00am to 06:30pm
  • Tuesday
    08:00am to 06:30pm
  • Wednesday
    08:00am to 06:30pm
  • Thursday
    08:00am to 06:30pm
  • Friday
    08:00am to 06:30pm
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
NHS A-Z Conditions
Find Local Services
Live Well